Translate Prepare Learn Languages

Friday, March 20, 2015

As of Today - not an Expat but an Immigrant - my life has changed for good!

People, family, friends, followers, readers....

I have an announcement to make. Take note. Announcement related to how to describe me, frame me, sustain me, understand me - I have changed my make up, as of today my structure is different, it is more than a lifestyle change, and it is permanent. Please make note and describe me precisely as follows in all ongoing correspondence or conversation - as of today, in fact in honor of St Patrick's and St Joseph's days and the Irish and Italian millions who like my own Swedish, Scottish, Germana and Indigenous (North American) roots have now migrated to 100% 'White' status  - I am no longer to be preferred to as an 'Expat' please; but as an 'Emigrant'; and, my life has changed for good!

I had in fact gotten this fact about myself for some time, without fully internalizing it or realizing its power. It wasn't until I read an article about how in the richest, most awe inspiring, multinational, powerhouse capital of Hong Kong - that the status expat was still exclusively eurocentric; and, in turn, biased in ways it did not deserve.Finally, I got it. Reflecting on how we are taught to adopt a passive, cultural, and moral superiority by the simple existence of being 'white' and abroad.

I do not want all of us who'll self describe as 'expats' as outwardly racist - but there is no denying that it is another hierarchical language status that derives from imperialist, capitalist, and racist beginnings and often operates as such for those who live 'expat lives' abroad. This began as I would introduce myself to Latinos in my immigrant life in South America as 'el gringo.'

Symbolizing myself by using the language of imperialist forced military and economic superiority has generally lightened the weight of relationships in my experience 'south of the border' in las Americas. Funny thing happens though, when one deigns to include Europeans as gringos they are often taken aback. Leave the derogatory self imputation language to 'Americans,' please. You see, North Americans, Australians, South Africans, Kiwis, and other predominately 'white' cultures can be viewed as less than by Europe. So many different definitions of 'Whiteness' but gringo is one of the few I know that does not include automatic superiority. Using gringo self-referentially equalizes.

As of today, I'm not an Expat but an Immigrant - a person out of country (temporarily living abroad). Most of us recognize how we use language, a 'common vernacular', which has racist history in use and applied powers. Exorcising and explicitly changing to emigrant from expat makes sense for me.

If you are reading this, and you recognize the immigrant roots of us all ramble on...

No comments:

Post a Comment